Updated: Nov 4, 2020
What do you think of when you think of self care? Is it a spa day? getting your nails done? taking yourself out shopping? rom-coms and a glass of wine?
I know that's what you'll see if you search self care on Pinterest.
Real self care though, is putting yourself first, before your spouse, your kids, your job, your friends & anyone else you care about.
You can't fill from an empty cup.
I know you put all of your energy into your family, your work, your partner & your loved ones. If someone needs something do you offer help, even when there's no room in your schedule, or money in the bank, or energy left?
Do you feel guilty taking time to go to the gym or workout? Because you think it takes away from time you could be spending with loved ones, working or helping those close to you ?
Do you feel guilty spending money on yourself? whether it's getting your hair done, spending money on a gym or personal training, or buying new clothes for yourself? But your kids are decked out in head to toe Gucci every week?
Do you hesitate to spend even 5 minutes doing something for you? I know there's laundry to be folded, dishes to wash, kids to tend to, spouses to be loved on and email to be answered but what about you and your needs?
What if I told you that taking even 1 minute a day for self care could: ⚡️give you more energy to work late or to play with your kids 🧘🏻♀️help you to stay calm under pressure 🤓increase your ability to focus (and hence be most productive at work and at home) 🤪help you to keep your emotions in check
Now before you tell me that you don't have the time, the energy or the money for self care, what is not taking care of yourself costing you?
😴Do you feel exhausted at the end of the day?
👹Do you snap at your loved ones for no reason?
🤪Do you have trouble focusing on small tasks?
😨Do you feel stressed, overwhelmed, resentful or frustrated?
These are all signs of burnout or impending burnout. The only one standing in your way is you, so how do you start taking better care of yourself right now?
Take a few deep breaths, even if it means you have to lock yourself in the closet, in the bathroom or spend a minute sitting in your car before you head out. Do this at least once a day or more. That wasn't so hard was it?
5 Steps to Raise Your Vibration, Release the Guilt & Take Better Care of Yourself
1. Gratitude: Start each day by writing down 3 people/ things you are thankful for and why. They can be small (hot showers) or big (a roof over your head).
2. Sit in silence: for 1- 5 minutes. No music, tv or devices. It will feel weird but I know you can do it. Set a timer or do a guided meditation if needed.
3. Eat like you give a f*ck: processed, high sugar and high fat food isn't doing anything for your body or mind. Prioritizing fruits, veggies, whole grains, plant based fats, & lean proteins will raise your vibration, increase your energy and improve your mood.
4. MOVE: A walk, yoga, dance class, chasing your kids around the park for an hour, lifting weights, swimming, hitting play on a youtube workout or turning on your favorite music and grooving for a 20 minutes. It doesn't have to be 'exercise' but you need to get your heart rate up and pump fresh blood through your body at least once a day.
5. Look in: Journal on these 5 questions in the morning or reflect on them at the end of the day
a. What's my energy level?
b. What's bothering me or what am I struggling with?
c. What is one thing (or more) that is going well?
d. What do I need today?
c. What's my top priority today? Stop looking at self care time as time that could be spent with your family or time away from work or school. Time spent recharging your soul and fulfilling your needs and desires gives you MORE VALUABLE TIME to spend with others because you will show up as your truest, most vibrant most YOU, you.
Name ONE thing more important than taking care of your mental and physical health?
*** there isn't one, because without your wellbeing you're not able to do anything***
When times get tough, busy or stressful (idk a global pandemic, stress at work, the holidays) you're most likely to stop self care, but it's these times that you need it more than anything.
There are 100 days left in 2020 if you can believe it. Those 100 days will come and go no matter what, but imagine what they could look like if you put yourself first for just a few minutes each day.
The power is in you to wake up each day feeling this happy, healthy, and energized. Ready to start putting yourself first for once?